Recently, Startup Genome and the Global Entrepreneurship Network launch the Global Startup Ecosystem Report 2018. Released at the Global Entrepreneurship Congress (GEC) in Istanbul, GSER 2018 features strategic startup, investment and policy insights from over 10,000 founders in 45 cities – including the StartupDelta ecosystem.
GSER provides a detailed look into different subsectors of startup ecosystems throughout the world. Coming weeks, we will zoom in on these subsectors and other insights from the report. Who are the startups and key players and initiatives? This time, let’s zoom in on Breakthrough Technologies.
BREAKTHROUGH TECH IN THE NETHERLANDS
According to the GSER, successful startups will do one of two things:
- Tackle specific Third Wave verticals—think Uber for mobility or Airbnb for hospitality.
- Rely on Deep Tech—build businesses through technological breakthroughs, e.g. distributed ledgers, AI, or Life Sciences.
The rise of Third Wave and Deep Tech can be clearly seen in the data for sub-sector growth.
Top 4 Growing Sub-Sectors:
- Adv. Manufacturing & Robotics (189% 5-year increase in early-stage funding deals)
- Agtech & New Food (171% 5-year increase)
- Blockchain (163% 5-year increase)
- Artificial Intelligence, Big Data & Analytics (77.5% 5-year increase)
What are breakthrough technologies
Whether you call it deep tech or breakthrough technologies, these emerging technologies are going to change the way we live. Some haven’t reached widespread use, some are already taking over the commercial market, and others just set the tone for innovations that emerge later. Think about game changers such as nanotechnology, A.I. chips, neural networks, and smart cities projects. But also being the first to create a quantum computer or recently the artificial embryos.
What do you think
What are the breakthrough technologies that can really impact our industries and society and can help solve the societal challenges we are facing?
We are looking for the top 10 deep tech of the Netherlands. What’s your opinion on Breakthrough technologies? In which technologies do The Netherlands have an unfair advantage? Fill in the survey!
Spin-outs | Breakthrough technologies
1. Solynta – Solynta contributes to feeding the world’s growing and often malnutritioned population
2. Lightyear -The electric car that charges itself
3. Kitepower – Airborne Wind Energy
Check out the full list of Spin-outs | Breakthrough Technology startups.
1. Unless – The smart personalization engine for your website
2. GeoSpark -AI driven location tracking with 90% less battery drain
3. Effect.AI – Decentralized Network for Artificial Intelligence
Check out the full list of A.I. startups.
1. Effect.AI – Decentralized Network for Artificial Intelligence
2. Unchain.io – Integrate any application with any blockchain
3. Blockport – Aims to launch a social crypto-exchange based on a hybrid-decentralised architecture
Check out the full list of Blockchain startups.
Is your startup not listed? Make yourself visible and add your company to the Dutch Tech Finder!
PROGRAMMES & INITIATIVES
Missing your initiative or programme? Let us know via the Intercom Chat [Right bottom]!
NEXT UP: HEALTH TECH
Next up, we will zoom in on the Health Tech sector in the Netherlands. If you have any suggestions about initiatives, events, and news that we should definitely mention, let us know!
StartupDelta aims to merge all layers of the Dutch startup ecosystem into one single connected hub to improve access to capital, networks, knowledge, and markets for startups. Together with the Ministry of Economic Affairs, StartupDelta joined Startup Genome to learn more about the local and global startup ecosystem. Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy works to build for an entrepreneurial, innovative and sustainable economy.
Startup Genome works to increase the success rate of startups and improve the performance of startup ecosystems globally. Fueled by the Voice of the Entrepreneur – the world’s largest primary research conducted with more than 10,000 startups annually – Startup Genome advises leaders of innovation ministries, agencies and organizations supporting startups. It brings data-driven, actionable insights, clarity and focus needed to produce more scale-ups, jobs and economic growth worldwide. Visit www.startupgenome.com for more and stay up to date on Twitter or Medium.